Excite, inspire and engage your students with
memorable, hands-on learning.
Once more for 2016-2017 we are delighted to offer teachers our suite of field trip programs at the unique, immersive location of the former Britannia
Mine industrial site
Finely crafted and fully orchestrated, our programs are designed to prompt students to effectively engage, question and investigate, and consider
causes and consequences.
Linking to learning outcomes, our programs cover natural resource management and sustainability, how resources shape economies, mining and mineral
processing, earth sciences, and environmental and social impacts. And there’s a unique opportunity to see real-life environmental remediation
with our 1-hour visit at the EPCOR Britannia Mine Water Treatment Plant.
Highlights for 2016-2017:
- Super Low Season! Last year 75 classes came in Dec/Jan/Feb taking advantage of our special low rate. This year Super Low Season is just $12
+ tax per student and includes FREE Gold Panning!
- Choice of hands-on programs for K-12 depending on your grade and
curriculum bias. Each explores our mine tunnel and incorporates different features of this former industrial and National Historic Site
relevant to the specific program content and context.
- Last year's most popular programs Mining: The Bigger Picture and Mining: The Bigger Picture XL are offered again this year for Grades 4/5-12. The XL extended version, our most comprehensive
program, includes our critical-thinking, game-based, learning activity, engaging students to contemplate and address real-world challenges.
- What Use Are Minerals To Me? is now offered for Grade 6 as well as K-5
with our experienced Interpreters conducting the hands-on components appropriate to younger or older students.
- Britannia Mine Experience: Incorporating demonstrations and fun to augment
learning, and conducted by our expert tour guides, this program suits ESL or international students seeking the Canadian experience. It
is also suitable for homeschoolers spanning multiple grades.
- Our Giftshop now has a café corner! Grab a cuppa or sit and enjoy the peaceful view of our water garden. And your students are welcome
to visit the Gift Shop for souvenirs, snacks and beverages.
- Lots of parents interested in joining the field trip? No limit to the number you may bring. Our discounted group rate $25.50 + tax applies
to each extra above the free adult ratio 1:6 for elementary and 1:10 for secondary. Depending on numbers, extra adults may need to join
a public train tour rather than the school train program.
- Teachers welcome to come any day to preview the site and exhibits. You will receive $5 off admission by showing valid teacher ID and photo
Over 10,000 students a year. Over 40 years of educating and entertaining students. Over 100 years of social and mining history. You can be confident
your students will have an excellent field trip at Britannia Mine Museum.